Distribution open budgets
You can access all information regarding the contribution registrations for the open budgets of GVL and their distribution here.
Dear GVL members,
This message is relevant to you if you have contributed in roles qualifying for GVL remuneration to productions of the following sub-budgets which were broadcast on the radio and or TV in the years 2010 to 2016.
The open GVL sub-budgets include:
- Radio jingles (station promos)
- Radio advertising
- Music in radio plays
- Television docusoaps
- Individual television contributions (e.g. Appearances in entertainment shows)
- TV jingles (station promos)
- Television advertising
- Documentary cinema films on television (cinema productions that have also been broadcast on television)
- Television documentary productions (produced for television)
- Title and background music (for all the above, except for documentary productions)
The GVL budgets mentioned here count among the small sub-budgets which make up less than 3 percent of the total distributable volume of GVL for performers and for which we do not receive usage reports from the broadcasters. The distributable amounts are mainly made up of private copying fees.
Your registrations for the sub-budgets for the years 2010-2014 were included up to the end of 2020 and were paid in April 2021. The registrations for the usage years 2015-2016 were made until 30/04/2021. The payout of these revenues is scheduled for the end of 2021. We will inform you separately about the notification deadlines / distributions for usage years from 2017 onwards.
In the interest of a timely release of reserves in favour of the rights holders, the boards of GVL, in agreement with the DPMA, have decided to fully distribute the remuneration of the open budgets from 2010 to 2014 promptly in a simplified procedure.
In order to make it easier for you to submit your reports in a complete and simple manner, we have opted for a solution where you complete a form on our main page www.gvl.de/en. The alternative, which would have been to upload the production details for the 10 different sub-budgets on the portal in their entirety would have further delayed the distribution of the remuneration and would have been more cost-intensive.
The following submission deadlines/distributions were scheduled:
- Notifications for the usage years 2010-2014 could be submitted from 01/09/2020 to 31/12/2020. The distribution was carried out in April 2021.
- Notifications for the usage years 2015-2016 could be submitted from 01/09/2020 to 30/04/2021. The distribution is planned for the second half of 2021.
- We will inform you separately about the notification deadlines / distributions for usage years from 2017 onwards.
We have prepared extensive questions & answers (FAQ) for you on the subject of sub-budgets and your notifications and will be adding to them on an ongoing basis. You can access the FAQs here.
If you have any further questions, please direct them to email@example.com. Our support is available for you Monday to Thursday 10am to 4pm and Friday 10am to 2pm; please dial 030- 48483-677. Due to the corona pandemic and holiday periods, processing delays may occur.
Notes on how to submit notifications
In order to be able to process the distribution as quickly and effectively as possible, your details are important.
So that we can process your notifications, we kindly ask you to take the following points into account:
- If you already have submitted notifications in the categories (advertising, jingles, documentaries, docusoaps, music in radio plays) in the past years via the performer portal Artsys/meine.gvl.gvl, you do not have to resubmit these details. Notifications that you have already submitted and that are relevant for the years 2010 to 2016 shall be incorporated in the scheduled distribution for the years 2010-2014 in the 1st semester 2021. An overview of the notifications which you have already submitted via artsys/meine.gvl can be accessed in the portal via: https://meine.gvl.de/ under "Registered" (Button).
- Please capture your details in the form as accurately as possible. There is no option for retroactive corrections. Details that cannot be identified cannot be further processed by us.
- You can submit 2 contribution registrations with the relevant usage per product. If you submit 2 registrations, one submission must be conducting and the other one performing. Please complete a second registration with identical production title.
- Please note that, in the case of acting or dubbing contributions, there has to be a change of roles which has been reported accordingly in the respective production script. A change of roles occurs if you, during your artistic work performance enter into the figure of another person or another being. Representations as advertising testimonial do not count as an artistic performance in terms of the law on secondary exploitation. Basic rule: The contributions of a narrator are only relevant from a neighbouring rights perspective if they reflect an artistic interpretation of a work which can be protected by copyright. The mere rendition of a work protected by copyright is not enough. An interpretation is a shaping personal rendition with a proper artistic value which can incite mood or feelings. A significant indicator is the change of roles or identities of the narrator. The mere linguistic communication of factual information such as those transmitted by a news reader does not give rise to neighbouring rights of a performer.
- Please submit meaningful evidence to your notifications. That means: Your name, the name of the production and your activity should emerge from the document. In the case of contributions as an actor, a dubbing actor or a narrator, evidence for the change of roles set out in the script must be provided (script excerpt). Since we must verify the submitted notifications in the interest of all rights holders, we kindly as for your help here. We are aware that this is difficult, especially for years that have long gone.
- If you are an ensemble representative, please note the following:
- Please enter your GVL ID under personal master data as well as your personal details as an ensemble representative. We sent you your GVL-ID via email.
- For all notifications which you submit as an ensemble representative by using the form, a solidarity-based payout method will be applied.
- Please only use the function of “ensemble member (KKV)” if the instrumentation is ≤ 16, otherwise please choose the function “choir member (KKV)” or “orchestra member (KKV)”.