Rental & lending

Rental & lending

If a commercially published sound recording or a music video clip are offered for rental or lending, provided they have a profit-making purpose, remuneration entitlements arise for contributing performers, producers, event organisers or music video clip producers. In such cases, the party responsible for the rental or lending process must pay GVL such fees as raised by GVL for this kind of exploitation based on the "rental tariff".

The ZVV (Zentralstelle für Videovermietung, Central Organisation for Video Rentals) and the ZBT (Zentralstelle Bibliothekstantiemen, Central Organisation for library levies) manage the licensing and collection for rental and lending of commercially published sound recordings and music videos clips on behalf of GVL. 

Tariff VB-T of GEMA in its currently valid version, to be found at

Digital learning platforms in schools

The ZBT also handles licensing for the making available to the public and other public reproduction of works for illustration in teaching at schools, for example when a published sound recording is used on digital learning platforms.

General agreement (in german)