Public performance

Use music in public

Public performance is known to many Germans as the so-called "Kneipenrecht".

It covers the right to play commercially published sound recordings and music videos clips in public places, e.g. restaurants, hotels, discotheques, at the hairdresser's, in shopping centres, at public events or – as the name suggests – in a pub. In accordance with the statutory right to receive remuneration, GVL collects fees on behalf of its members and issues licences for the exploitation to the rights users.

The licensing and collection process for public performance is managed by GEMA (Gesellschaft für musikalische Aufführungs- und mechanische Vervielfältigungsrechte e.V., German Performing Right Society for Authors and Publishers) on behalf of GVL. If you are a rights user, please contact your local GEMA regional office.

Tariff information